Like many shows that grace the Great White Way, I’m giving the Broadway Musical Tag a revival to see how my tastes have changed since then.
A Musical You Dislike
Dear Evan Hansen. It is so very problematic with an unlikeable protagonist that twists people’s grief in his favor. There are much better musicals that depict mental health and coming-of-age stories in more accurate and meaningful ways.
A Musical You Think Is Overrated
I’m going with Be More Chill. It is widely popular with teenagers and in my opinion, it is not a good show at all. Maybe I’m just getting old and coming-of-age stories don’t resonate anymore, but I couldn’t even find appreciation for the music or what they were trying to do. I spent my attempt getting into it cringing.
A Musical You Think Is Underrated
Sticking with Next to Normal, It won a Pullitzer and yet people still aren’t aware of it!
A Musical You Love
I adore Hadestown and shall keep it close to my heart forever.
A Musical You Cherish
Hamilton. I’ve talked about how Hamilton helped me through a really rough time before, and because of that I’ll always keep Hamilton close and cherished.
A Musical You Have On Repeat
I haven’t really had one on repeat recently. I had a couple of moments of listening to full albums, including Wicked and Heathers, but nothing on repeat.
A Musical You’d Want To Be In
I still don’t act or sing and I stopped dancing years ago, so being in a musical is just not in the cards for me.
A Musical That Made You Fall In Love With Broadway
When I initially answered this tag I chose Phantom of the Opera, which still holds true for when I initially fell in love with broadway. However, I fell out of enjoying musicals for a while until one musical sparked the love again. And that musical is Hamilton.
A New Musical You Want To Learn More About
I was looking up what new musicals have opened recently, and one that caught my eye is Paradise Square. It is about the denizens of a saloon in 1863 New York who are brought together and torn apart by the war raging between the north and south. Previews for its broadway opening start in February, so I’ll keep an eye out for a cast album.
A Musical That Changed Your Life
I still say Hamilton. It gave me something to enjoy and be excited about when I was struggling.
A Guilty Pleasure Musical
I am becoming a person who isn’t guilty about what I enjoy, so I can’t really pinpoint one musical that is a guilty pleasure specifically.
Favorite Movie Adaptation of a Musical
I’ve actually ranked all the adaptations I’ve seen, and my favorite thus far is Tick, Tick…Boom!
First Musical You Saw Live
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Saw it at a dinner theater with my family in my middle school years.
Favorite Musical You’ve Seen Live
Probably Hamilton, but I also want to say The Band’s Visit because it was such a lovely show and so nice to take my brother and see him loving it so much.
A Musical You Want to See Live
HADESTOWN! And it will happen next year because the tour will be in Los Angeles in April so I will be present I guarantee it.
A Musical You Want To See Specifically on Broadway
I’ll take any musical honestly. But I still stand by my original answer of The Lion King.
Want to do this tag? Here are the prompts:
- Where are you from? What’s your name, age, etc.? Introduce yourself!
- What are your pronouns?
- How do you feel about pronouns? Have you preferred different ones in the past?
- What’s your sexuality?
- How did you find out about your sexuality?
- What sort of labels do you use to describe yourself?
- What is one memory you have that made you think about possibly not being straight?
- Did you out yourself? If so, who did you out yourself, too?
- What do your parents/family/partner/friends think about the topics?
- Have you ever been to a Pride event? (i.e. protests, CSD, parties,…)
- Do you have someone who’s part of the LGBTQIA2+ community that you admire?
- Is your sexual orientation different from your romantic orientation?
- A Musical You Dislike
- A Musical You Think Is Overrated
- A Musical You Think Is Underrated
- A Musical You Love
- A Musical You Cherish
- A Musical You Have On Repeat
- A Musical You’d Want To Be In
- A Musical That Made You Fall In Love With Broadway
- A New Musical You Want To Learn More About
- A Musical That Changed Your Life
- A Guilty Pleasure Musical
- Favorite Movie Adaptation of a Musical
- First Musical You Saw Live
- Favorite Musical You’ve Seen Live
- A Musical You Want to See Live
- A Musical You Want To See Specifically on Broadway